The Scientific Director leads the integration of key scientific and health care landscape data, information, and insights into the development, communication, and execution of medical strategy, tactics, and resources specific to health care providers, population based decision makers, and organized customer groups to differentiate General Medicines products and disease states. The Scientific Director assists in the development of Integrated Medical Plans, including Medical Communications and Publications, IME, Medical Liaisons, Health Outcomes, Safety and Clinical Research (Phase IIIB-IV and IST’s) for assigned product, As a product lead, the Scientific Director assists in providing medical leadership and expertise to sales, marketing, legal and regulatory functions for marketed products and drugs in development and ensures strategic and cross functional alignment across the organization to achieve the medical mission of supporting safe and appropriate use of a particular brand. As product lead, they will support the review and approval of materials going through commercial review committee and/or medical material review committee.
The Scientific Director will support Sanofi’s commitment to build strong relationships with healthcare professionals, patients and payers. The Scientific Director will strategically support our collaborations with these key external stakeholders and is an expert in the diabetes, cardiovascular and General Medicines disease states. The Scientific Director champions these external perspectives across internal functional groups and develops innovative strategies for the Medical team to meet the dynamic needs of the external community. This individual will be a member of the NA General Medicines Medical, Scientific Communications team.
Individual will have the ability to:
- Understand medical and business strategy to develop integrated medical plans that support overall franchise goals of NA General Medicines Medical/BU.
- Translate insights into strategy and action plans and monitor progress; make continuous improvement recommendations on an ongoing basis.
- Provide NA General Medicines Medical leadership and other key stakeholders with customer insights and correlating business recommendations.
- Support medical unit with advocacy related functions
- Develop unique medical tactics/concepts
- Support the Scientific Director publication strategies based upon the external environment needs
All proposed strategies and projects developed must be approved by appropriate review committees before implementation.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Primary responsibilities of this role are to facilitate information, education, and research activities for physicians and ancillary healthcare professionals regarding in-development or commercialized Sanofi products.
- This is a home-office based Scientific Director position
- The Scientific Director serves as a key General Medicines expert and liaison between home based and field based medical teams
- Provide expertise for development of medical plans across all functions
- Lead the identification of key published clinical, HEOR, and real world evidence as well as data on file for inclusion in appropriate medical resources and communication
- Lead the coordination of timely data and insights analysis and communication specific to General Medicines products, technologies or services, and the associated health care landscape
- Lead the identification and development of timely and impactful field medical tools and other communication approaches that are aligned with specific integrated medical plans customized to specific communication channels and audience types
- Serve as expert on as needed basis or as a substitute medical reviewer for commercial and medical review committees.
Demonstrate Strong Scientific/Technical Expertise:
- Advanced understanding and clinical knowledge of the disease state, scientific evidence regarding Sanofi products, health care management, perspectives of external audiences, technologies and services
- Advanced understanding of clinical trials methodology, outcomes, and limitations
- Proficiently utilize and communicate clinical data, therapeutic guidelines and other technical tools
Effectively Manage Externally-facing Responsibilities:
- Communicate and disseminate scientific and clinical data in response to unsolicited requests for information as appropriate per medical field policy, using oral presentations, written communications, scientific literature or other approved materials and tools. Provide timely, fair balanced, objective information.
- Identify and provide medical education solutions for unique or impactful medical opportunities
Communicate and Disseminate Medical Education and Medical Information:
- Provides comprehensive medical and scientific information in connection with Sanofi products
- Displays an exceptional ability to assimilate scientific data accurately, with strong learning agility, and to communicate such information clearly and with appropriate balance
- Serve as a primary resource for clinical and scientific information to internal associates and external health care providers. Communicate effectively to internal medical and business partners
- Participate in professional communication and dissemination at scientific congresses and other professional meetings via podium or scientific poster presentations
Demonstrates Leadership and Self-Management Skills:
- Leads or develops innovative solutions for initiatives that have relevant national impact
- Demonstrates the ability to consistently lead a project or a project team successfully
- Display advanced organizational and implementation skills and the capability to manage multiple priorities in a fluid, semi-independent setting
- Demonstrate advanced interpersonal skills, including expert oral and written communications capabilities for scientific exchange
- Display strong interest in continuous learning of scientific knowledge and the application of research to support optimal healthcare delivery and improved patient health outcome
- Display forward strategic thinking, and the capability to communicate and support ideas effectively to field and internal partners
Collaborate with Field and Home Office Partners:
- Demonstrate excellent teamwork and partnership with NA General Medicines Medical Scientific Communication Team members, General Medicines and JV Medical Directors, field medical teams, HEOR, global partners, as well as within a matrix organization
- Provide training and expertise to medical and commercial teams as needed and requested
- Engage in support of medical advisory boards or other activities that strive to understand the application and impact of current or planned clinical trials as well as key General Medicines related clinical data and practice patterns
Demonstrate Compliance via Exceptional Understanding of and Adherence to Applicable Policies and Standards:
- Complete all required training, demonstrate a deep knowledge and understanding of Sanofi’s relevant procedures, guidance’s, and adhere to corporate policies and procedures.
- Demonstrate accountability for all necessary and appropriate Sanofi legal, regulatory, and compliance review of communication materials, research or other partnerships, or other types of activities. Collaborate effectively with the Medical Affairs and other colleagues, including the Standards and Quality Assurance teams, to understand and ensure adherence to relevant policies and standards.
- Complete all activity documentation, expense reporting and other administrative responsibilities in a timely manner
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EQUIVALENT EXPERIENCE
- A minimum of seven (7) years of prior experience preferred, with a history of successful performance, combined from the following: in the pharmaceutical industry or related or related firm, managed care, academic healthcare delivery setting in which responsibilities involved healthcare management and/or patient care experience.
- Post-doctoral residency or fellowship program experience in healthcare, pharmaceutical program, or related field is preferred but not required.
- Pharm.D./PhD/MD with social science or public health concentration
- 7+ years of professional experience preferred which includes a blend of non-profit experience as well as at least two years health care corporate experience which includes advocacy work on behalf of patients and/or collaborative work with external professional associations
- Demonstrated ability to independently work under pressure in a compliant and highly regulated environment while managing multiple responsibilities
- Ability to influence without authority in a highly matrixed environment
- Strategic approach to problem-solving considering all of the potential implications of key decisions and messaging
- Experience with clinical health care delivery in the United States and biotechnology drug or device development process
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.