Senior Counsel, Biologics Patents
About the Opportunity
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Counsel, Biologics Patents based at our Ablynx site in Ghent.
The Senior Counsel will be an experienced patent attorney responsible for biologics projects. The attorney will be part of the Belgian team dedicated to all aspects of patent protection for a diverse range of programs across Sanofi's global business units. The attorney will advise on wide range of intellectual property matters, including patent preparation and prosecution, worldwide patent portfolio management, overall IP strategy, patentability, and freedom-to-operate analyses.
The position reports directly to the Leader of Biologics Patents France.
About Ablynx, a Sanofi company
Ablynx, a Sanofi company, is engaged in the development of Nanobodies®, proprietary therapeutic proteins based on single-domain antibody fragments, which combine the advantages of conventional antibody drugs with some of the features of small-molecule drugs. Nanobodies have potential uses in the treatment of a range of serious and life-threatening human diseases. Ablynx advances a portfolio of Nanobody-based therapeutic programs in several major disease areas, including inflammation, haematology, immuno-oncology and oncology.
- Prepare, file and prosecute EP, US and foreign patent applications in biotechnology areas;
- Interact with clients (including Research & Development, Project Management, Business Development, Industrial Affairs) in the US and Europe daily to provide client counselling, and proactively solicit invention disclosures;
- Proactively counsel clients about IP strategy related to client’s business;
- Provide patentability evaluation of IP related to internal or external projects;
- Initiate, defend and manage post issuance proceedings such as post grant review, inter partes review, oppositions, litigation;
- Participate in the drafting, reviewing and negotiation of agreements covering intellectual property rights.
- Direct and analyze patent searches and render opinions on validity, non-infringement and patent avoidance of third-party patents;
- Review proposed research papers and other publications for any impact on existing patent estate;
- Develop and maintain an appropriate network inside Sanofi’s Biologics Business Unit and Global IP group.
To excel in this role you will need to have:
- A motivated self-starting person exhibiting initiative to contribute to the team in more ways than mere handling of assigned projects;
- Graduate degree (MS, PhD) in a biological or biochemistry science, a PhD would be a plus;
- Qualified European patent attorney;
- 5-8 years minimum of patent law experience, preferably gained in a corporate environment;
- Able to independently handle preparation and prosecution of patent applications;
- Ability to work in a team within an international professional network and interact with colleagues in other countries;
- Fluent in English.
It would be advantageous to have (not essential):
- Confirmed experience in handling complex biologics IP matters, especially therapeutic biological molecules, such as antibodies, antibody mimetics and/or gene therapy, as well as biologics platform activities (antibody formats, bioprocesses, formulations, drug device combinations, etc...);
- Experience in handling EPO Oppositions and/or US Inter Partes Reexaminations would be a plus.
What Sanofi can offer you
In this position, you support products as well as platforms. You therefore work with complex projects that you support from research all the way to product launch. As part of a global team, you have many international interactions as part of an extensive and experienced team. You are developing strategies at a global level.
Empower Life Everyday
At Sanofi we work across human health from vaccines to rare diseases, and consumer healthcare. This creates opportunities to work across different areas to build a diverse and exciting career. Sanofi has the capabilities and resources to support your aspirations to fulfill your ambitions and be the best you can be.
Our purpose at Sanofi is to work passionately every day to understand and solve healthcare needs of people across the world. Our ambition is by 2025, to be a top 3 innovative, global and diversified human healthcare company. One that embraces transformative technologies and is focused on its area of excellence, which means we’re not there to try to solve everybody’s problems. We want to focus on those areas where we know we are making a difference.
The values we live by are teamwork, courage, respect and integrity.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.