The Deputy Director Data Management & Systems serves as an operational and strategic resource in efforts to implement and maintain laboratory data systems, tools and data management activities applicable to VxR&D laboratory functions.
This position is responsible for developing and implementing the strategy for managing R&D data for all assigned projects and lab activities in order to deliver cleaned and FAIR data.
The incumbent is expected to provide support and promote cross-functional collaboration to ensure all systems, processes and outcomes comply with applicable industry standards, regulations and corporate policies.
The Deputy Director Data Management & Systems interacts closely with other department members to share support and expertise.
Deputy Director Data Management & Systems' major responsibilities are:
- Lead and/or assist in the development and implementation of projects and associated actions plans for support of existing key data management systems applicable to VxRD
- Contribute to the strategic planning and implementation of new tools and capabilities to ensure VxRD data management success and efficiency
- Interface with Data Office
Under the direction of the Global Department Head, this incumbent is responsible for providing guidance in the planning, implementation, improvement and evaluation of data management and promoting operational improvements.
The Deputy Director Data Management & Systems will be expected to participate in key R&D and Digital committees and provide critical and strategic contributions in order to advance projects along the pipeline.
The Senior Data Manager will be part of the effort to build a cross-divisional data governance process, master data management process and harmonized operational data model for a specific domain of expertise in R&D (mRNA CoE, GAD, GI, GLOS), in link with the Data Office for the US site.
This role is accountable for enforcement and maintenance of the agreed process once established:
- Maintains documentation and acts as an expert on data definitions, data flows, data models, legacy data structures, access rights models, etc. for assigned domain
- Enhances the organization's ability to share and curate the data at its disposal across teams,
- Supports new business initiatives by highlighting the data that is available
- Involves in information governance processes as a business-enabling capability
- Ensures quality of master data in key systems, as well as, development and documentation of processes with other functional data owners to support ongoing maintenance and data integrity
- In collaboration with subject matter experts and data stewards, implements data strategy, policies, controls, and programs to ensure the enterprise data is accurate, complete, secure, and reliable
- Lead and Orchestrate Digital transformation ensuring users engagement, Change management with an Agile way of working
Benchling ELN Management (Waltham/Cambridge sites)
Under the lead of the Platform Head of Research Lab Systems & Data Management, overseeing the development and implementation of LIMS & ELN global R&D strategy to meet expected project related goals on the Waltham/Cambridge sites.
This role is accountable for the following activities:
- Is accountable towards their business counterparts to deliver projects according to business goals and requirements. At any stage of the project life cycle, applies standard project methodology to secure the quality of deliverables and deliver on time and budget
- Ensures the oversight of this project, being the US point of contact to meet timelines and objectives (as project coordinator).
- Centralizes and communicates all decisions applicable to the project at the Waltham/Cambridge sites.
- Proactively identifies difficulties in reaching project timelines.
- In case of difficulties encountered, offers best practices and solutions to resolve it.
- Coordinates Benchling activities on the Waltham/Cambridge sites to ensure consistency across sites and R&D.
- Ensures the good understanding and use of the Benchling solution by the US users.
- Provides guidance and support to the US R&D Teams - Act as a key user
- Be part of the Key Users community, regularly attend meetings with the data management team and other key users
- Define Templates– Under the lead of the Platform Head of Research Lab Systems & Data Management, liaise with end users to define/update templates for new methods, to harmonize the templates and data model
- Support Users – Centralize user requests and relay answers to users, share best practices and know-how
- Train End users – Act as key liaison to the end user groups and provide training (exercises, situational setting…) and support (Q&A sessions for example)
- Lead the Global Key Users community
- Test the templates – Contribute to UAT ( scripts, tests on the scientific or technical parts)
- Upload legacy data - support the upload of legacy data to Benchling as required by the end user groups in collaboration with the data management team
- Ensures integrity of data and appropriate level of quality for Benchling. For this Data monitoring activity, develops tools to easily ensure the quality of structured data in Benchling application
- Develops dashboards to automate data visualization ad accelerate mRNA Research data analysis
Oversee efforts to implement and integrate systems and solutions to provide maximum efficiency. Liaise with Process Excellence, laboratories, ITS, and Automation/Equipment teams to identify efficiencies and ensure the optimal implementation of solutions and processes.
- Proposes and reviews potential process improvements for the L3S activities
- Coordinates or participates in initiatives/projects in L3S department.
- Collaborates to any definition, update or review of Quality documents and guidelines related to L3S activities.
- Participate in the definition of the digital strategy for R&D in collaboration with different entities.
- Collaborate with Data Science team on IA and ML initiatives.
Context of the job
- Data management comprises a set of processes and tools that consistently define and manage the non-transactional data entities of an organization.
- Has the objective of providing processes for collecting, aggregating, matching, consolidating, quality-assuring, persisting and distributing such data throughout an organization to ensure consistency and control in the ongoing maintenance and application use of this information.
- The position is critical to achieve Master Data Management. Information management, semantics are vital to ensure there is shared understanding and interpretation of data, in context.
- The Deputy Director Data Management & Systems will allow Vx R&D (200 to 300 users) and more specifically the mRNA CoE to evolve toward new technologies related to data management, transversability of processes, advanced analytics (Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence), information sharing and overall function visibility.
- The Deputy Director Data Management & Systems position will also support new ways of working (further boosting the collaborative mindset) and allow better strategic alignment with greater R&D, and with other Sanofi entities.
This position is critical to develop the Digital Culture across the VxR&D organization in collaboration with Sanofi teams.
Requirements - Education/experience
- 7-10 years of experience in data management in biopharmaceutic
- Master (MS) level Degree in Health/Life Science, Technical Sciences or other related area
- Experience with Python and R strongly preferred
- Skills and Experience in data management in R&D field
- Knowledge of data management software and computing skills
- Comprehensive knowledge of regulatory requirements, including GxPs, Part 11, as they pertain to computerized systems, is preferred
Strive for efficiency and results
- Ability to deliver in time and with requested quality
- Rigorous, disciplined approach to work. Good process awareness.
- Ability to streamline processes and engage in new ways of working
- Ability to understand end-user needs and user experience in a science-based research environment
- Ability to establish and maintain highly effective relationships with individuals from all levels of an organization.
- Demonstrates good partnership with colleagues, supports others
- Interacts effectively with others both individually and in group environments.
Act for change
- Willingness to work in and adapt to a fast paced, ever-changing environment
- Self-starter with excellent time management and organization skills.
- Ability to respond quickly and effectively to changing environments.
- Project management skills
- Ability to effectively influence without hierarchical authority.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, with members of all levels of the organization
- Highly skilled facilitator, negotiator and with a keen eye for detail.
- Fluency in English
Sanofi Inc. and its U.S. affiliates are Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers committed to a culturally diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race; color; creed; religion; national origin; age; ancestry; nationality; marital, domestic partnership or civil union status; sex, gender, gender identity or expression; affectional or sexual orientation; disability; veteran or military status or liability for military status; domestic violence victim status; atypical cellular or blood trait; genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing) or any other characteristic protected by law
As a healthcare company and a vaccine manufacturer, Sanofi has an important responsibility to protect individual and public health. All US based roles require individuals to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as part of your job responsibilities.
At Sanofi diversity and inclusion is foundational to how we operate and embedded in our Core Values. We recognize to truly tap into the richness diversity brings we must lead with inclusion and have a workplace where those differences can thrive and be leveraged to empower the lives of our colleagues, patients and customers. We respect and celebrate the diversity of our people, their backgrounds and experiences and provide equal opportunity for all.